Male Prostate Health BPH
Saw Palmetto Seeds
Benign prostate hypertrophy (BPH) is the non cancerous enlargement of the prostate that strikes at least half of all men 50 years old and as many as 90 percent of men 70 years old and up. The condition makes urination difficult, perhaps painful, and leaves a man unable to empty his bladder thoroughly, resulting in frequent visits to the bathroom, especially at night. The prostate is also key to your sexual performance, this walnut-sized organ heightens orgasmic feelings and makes vital contributions to your sperm count.
Bitters & Syrups
Herbal formulations containing combinations of herbs are often more effective than single extracts. Damiana is more effective when combined with saw palmetto in formulas that address male prostate health than when either herb is used alone, and Saw palmetto combined with stinging nettle and pygeum is the herbal standard for treating benign prostate hypertrophy( BPH) and the related condition of male pattern baldness. More than a dozen clinical studies involving almost 3,000 men have verified saw palmetto's ability to markedly alleviate BPH symptoms - without the libido 5reducing side effects of the pharmaceutical drug. 1, 2 3
- Men who drank 1 to 3 cups of coffee per day lowered their risk of prostate cancer by 13 percent, according to the study which was published Tuesday in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.
- Pumpkin seeds contain a heavy concentration of phytochemicals called cucubitacins that are being studied in benign prostate enlargement. 1While the exact mechanism is not fully understood, Drugs widely available in Europe for treatment of BPH contain extracts of both pumpkin seed and Saw palmetto and are considered safe and effective.4
- For the purposes of men's sexual health, the key ingredients in stinging nettles are the sterols, that appear to lessen the action of DHT, the form of testosterone that causes the prostate to enlarge.
Looking for something you can read offline? Join our mailing list and get a free copy of Methods for Using Herbs. This free handbook includes instructions on how to make basic herbal preparations at home. It covers making herbal teas, herb infused oils and balms, tinctures, and more.
Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook(2000)
- Saw Palmetto, Nettles, and Pygeum for Male Pattern Baldness
American Botanical Council
Although the safety and efficacy of an herb or phytomedicinal product cannot be determined by the results of only one clinical trial, in the case of the saw palmetto and nettle root preparation, the combination of the literature on each ingredient, plus recent trials and the new trial on the combined formulation, demonstrate that this phytomedicine is both safe and effective for treating many symptoms of BPH.
- Long-Term Use of Saw Palmetto and Nettle Root Combination Shown Effective for BPH in Clinical Trial
American Botanical Council
increasing evidence of the link between male pattern hair loss and elevated levels of the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase, which converts testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT). It refers to reports of increased scalp levels of DHT in men with male pattern hair loss, and notes that elevations in 5-alpha-reductase have also been linked to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
- American Botanical CouncilHerbalGram
Pumpkin (Cucurbita pepo) seed extract is included as one of the active ingredients in some drugs used widely in Germany for the treatment of urological symptoms associated with BPH. In one double-blind, placebo-controlled study, C. pepo and S. repens extracts given together in the preparation Curbicin, improved the condition of patients with mild symptoms of urological obstruction associated with BPH. It is approved by Commission E.
- Efficacy of Serenoa Mild and Moderate Symptomatic Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. (2011),PMID: 14750201.
Long-term treatment with 320 mg ethanolic extract of Serenoa repens proved to be efficient in reducing urinary obstruction, improving symptomatology and QoL of BPH patients. It also had a positive effect on sexual function, demonstrated by the statistically significant increase in the IIEF.